The Journal of an Xbox InfoPath Nut

Friday, February 10, 2006

RegForm Update in VSTO

Howdy loyal readers, I've been having some problems recently with my favourite app InfoPath, until recenlty I have been developing all my forms using Visual Studio 2003 and the InfoPath tool kit. In addition to this with one of my clients I have been using the RegForm utility to package the form into an MSI. So lets jump forward to today, being the Developer I am I feel obliged to install Visual Studio 2005 (as was the standard with the rest of the company) so off I go and run the installer which worked fine (and to my surprise played quite happily alongside Visual Studio 2003). I then proceeded to install the InfoPath Toolkit for Visual Studio 2005, so now I have the ability to develop forms with either .net framework 1.1 or 2.0.
This was all working fine until I attempted to create an MSI for my client using the RegForm included in the InfoPath SDK, I recieved the following error message from the RegForm utility "Error: RegForm does not support Microsot Visual Studio version number 8.0.50727.42"
So off I trundled to google to see what he had to say about it, and for a first time it was rather quiet on resolutions.
Eventually I succumbed to using my MVP influence and contacted a friend on the VSTO team, turns out there is a new version of the RegForm utility installed with the Visual Studio 2005 InfoPath toolkit. This new version of the RegForm util is found in C:\Program Files\Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office\InfoPath\
Re-Ran the package with the new RegForm utility and all is well with the world once more.
As for the out of date version of the SDK up on the Microsoft site I have been assured this will be updated so no more need for confusion.

3 Comments:

  • Am I right in thinking that the 2005 Infopath toolkit is something Microsoft require money for?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:16 AM  

  • Hey Clive
    Had a chat to a friend of mine at MS and it seems the only way to get your hands on the InfoPath toolkit for Visual studio 2005 is with one of the super set products e.g. VSTO or Visual Studio Team System. So in answer to you question yes this is a product you will need to pay for.

    By Blogger Nilcraban, at 9:58 AM  

  • I also had a problem with regform and couldnt workout how to get it working after installing VS2005. So i've gone ahead and installed VSTO 2005 but it didnt install a new version of regform! Has the regform update been added after the initial release of VSTO 2005? The iso was downloaded from microsoft back when VS2005 was offically released...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home